The Robin Hood Theatre lies in the grounds of Averham Rectory, close to Sherwood Forest. It was designed by the Rev. Joseph Cyril Walker in 1913 and built by the village carpenter, Robert Lee, assisted by local voluntary labour.
The exterior was simple and functional, but the interior surprised and delighted all who entered it. The ample 3' high stage with a depth of 24' and a width of 16' was framed by an ornate proscenium arch painted in gold leaf, flanked by more beautiful plaster work. The handsome front drop tabs were of dark green velvet and the orchestra pit was surrounded by a heavy brass rail hung with curtains of the same material.
The full name chosen for the theatre was the Robin Hood Opera House and these initials were inscribed on the proscenium arch. Two small dressing rooms led off from either side of the stage, above which a fly floor and cat walk were constructed, while behind the stage an ample scene dock could also be used as an extra dressing room for large cast productions.
The theatre had a seating capacity of 150. The first five rows were tip- up seats, upholstered in green velvet, 'The Rev. Cyril Walker's stalls', the remainder consisting of Bentwood chairs. A long succession of musical plays and pantomimes were performed, many of them written by the rector himself, followed over the years by thrillers and straight plays.